Ident authentication failed for user "dsivam"

From: dsivam(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Ident authentication failed for user "dsivam"
Date: 2006-11-28 23:40:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi-

I've run into a problem using Postgres 8.1 that has me stumped:

I'm logged on as user 'postgres' and I can connect using the following
command:

bash$>psql

However when I specify the host:

bash$>psql -h localhost

or

bash$>psql -h hostname.domain.com

I get the following error:

psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

I have the listen_address parameter set to "*" in postgresql.conf.

Below are the permissions in my pg_hba.conf:

local all all ident sameuser
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 ident sameuser
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 ident sameuser

Any Ideas?

Thanks...