Hierarchical Queries status?

From: Hubert FONGARNAND <informatique(dot)internet(at)fiducial(dot)fr>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hierarchical Queries status?
Date: 2006-11-23 08:19:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think it's a recurrent question... but i want to know more about the
current developpement status of "Hierarchical queries" in postgresql.

Two years ago, this line appeared in the TODO List
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html) :

Add SQL:2003 WITH RECURSIVE (hierarchical) queries to SELECT

Most of commercial database support them (SQL Server 2005, DB2, Oracle
(with Connect By)) and it would be VERY great that at least one "open
source" database supports this feature.
We use the CONNECT BY patch made by evgen potemkin
(http://gppl.moonbone.ru/) this patch works great with the latest 8.1.5
version but i doubt that it will work with 8.2 (the author doesn't
answer to mail anymore...). We've try to use the connectby C function
included in the contrib, but it's up to 10x slower than this patch. I
know that CONNECT BY is an "oracle invention" but it's the most easier
way to do hierarchical queries. But we are ready to rewrite our
application if postgresql would support WITH RECURSIVE.

We don't want to depend on a patch anymore... but now, there's no other
alternatives... We just want to have more visibility about this "future"
feature.

Regards

Hubert FONGARNAND
Fiducial

Ce message et les ventuels documents joints peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles.
Au cas o il ne vous serait pas destin, nous vous remercions de bien vouloir le supprimer et en aviser immdiatement l'expditeur. Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme sa destination, toute diffusion ou publication, totale ou partielle et quel qu'en soit le moyen est formellement interdite.
Les communications sur internet n'tant pas scurises, l'intgrit de ce message n'est pas assure et la socit mettrice ne peut tre tenue pour responsable de son contenu.