Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Markus Schiltknecht" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Shane Ambler" <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-22 19:27:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 19:23 +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

> Jeff Davis wrote:
> > If there is some great replication solution that a lot of people need
> > and it will only work with a change to core, that change might make it
> > in.
>
> That's what I'm saying. Although it's hypothetical.

My interest is in extending Warm Standby [8.2] to include the following
forms of replication:
1. asynchronous WAL-record level transfer to Standby server
2. synchronous WAL-record level transfer to Standby server
My foresight includes that this would likely require some improvements
in Group Commit, but I've not done the design for this *yet*.

I would also like to include some performance optimisations into Core
that are specifically aimed at improving Slony performance. (I'm more
than happy if those things also increase performance of other
situations). That's slightly different thing to embedding Slony in Core,
which I am *not* suggesting. Suggestions welcome.

This will then give PostgreSQL:
- improved performance for the most popular production replication
system for PostgreSQL (Slony)
- a capability for Synchronous Replication, when it is requested

That's the limit of my ambitions for 8.3.

Personally, I won't be investing time in multi-master solutions for a
host of reasons; please just regard that as a personal time allocation
decision rather than a suggestion to prevent others from doing so.

--
Simon Riggs