Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8
Date: 2006-10-23 06:41:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 17:18 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:10:56PM +0530, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Michael Kounavis has given a green signal (please refer the forwarded
> > message).
>
> I don't think that helps. The publishing date of this article was March
> 2006. If this is really the first time this algorithm was published, that
> means that anyone else (or even the author) has the option of patenting
> this algorithm sometime before March 2007 and still claiming they
> invented it first.

Slice-By-8 was first mentioned here:

M. E. Kounavis and F. L. Berry, "A Systematic Approach to Building High
Performance Software-based CRC Generators", Proceedings, Tenth IEEE
International Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2005), La
Manga Del Mar Menor, Spain, June, 2005.

so presumably the opportunity to patent has already passed, given what
you say.

> And realistically we would wait at least a year or three after that,
> because you don't get to see patents as they're applied for.
>
> Maybe March 2010 we can look into it...

I think that's a tad overcooked. We have to balance caution with
boldness. Simply copying stuff from research can be dangerous, but I
think this is about as safe as it gets.

--
Simon Riggs