Re: Question on MD5 authentication

From: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on MD5 authentication
Date: 2006-10-12 20:38:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I think I have found out something suspicious.

I used tcpdump to monitor the traffic to and from port 5432, and it
seems that the password the client on A sends out to the postmaster on B
is

"md54570471eccef21ae3c6e43033d8d2f66"

While the MD5-ed password stored in system catalog (pg_shadow) is

"md5c573460a3b356e4610bfae406e1d8a9f"

And a MD5 string generated by md5 function in postgresql is:

template1=# select md5('test_passwd');
md5
daac2bc8c6fe94375b59efb7b3effd33
(1 row)

(As you can see, all 3 strings are different)

Why the difference? Is there something missing ??

Thanks

Wei