Slony 1.2 support

From: Paul Cook <pcook(at)caltech(dot)edu>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Slony 1.2 support
Date: 2006-09-18 18:29:41
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

This may be a premature post, since Slony 1.2 is technically only at
RC4, but it should be coming out soon and seems unlikely to change much.

So I tried using pgAdmin III to set up a new Slony replication cluster,
but failed, with details below. Is anyone going to look at the changes
necessary to support Slony 1.2? I'd volunteer, but am new to both Slony
and pgAdmin.

Details:
pgAdmin III 1.4.3 on Windows
PostgreSQL 7.4.7 on Fedora Core 2
Slony 1.2 RC4

The cluster creation script SQL query failed. I traced the problem down
to a missing definition of @MODULEVERSION@, which is defined in the
creation SQL and handled (ie. replaced) correctly by Slony's "slonik"
program, but is not defined in pgAdmin's code -- I believe the correct
place would be src/slony/dlgRepCluster.cpp, function
dlgRepCluster::GetSql(). However, I'm not quite sure what to put there
to maintain compatibility with multiple Slony versions.

The relevant Slony CVS diff is
http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/slony1-
engine/src/slonik/slonik.c.diff?r1=1.60;r2=1.61;cvsroot=slony1;f=h

There may of course be further changes necessary to get full Slony 1.2
support working.

Thanks!
Paul Cook