Re: FAQ on Embedding Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FAQ on Embedding Postgres
Date: 2008-03-06 06:25:35
Lists: pgsql-docs
Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> I think it's funny to consider a specific recommendation for SQLite as
> being out of line when you look at the history here.  The whole reason
> that software even exists is because of the difficulty of using PostgreSQL
> in this context.  See http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6650

I've got nothing against SQLite.  But I am unhappy with the idea of us
recommending *any* particular bit of software that is not under our
control, especially in a document that is as widespread and hard to
update as our FAQ.  There are any number of scenarios where we might
want to take back such an endorsement, but once made it'll be out there
somewhere on the Web until cockroaches rule the earth.  There is also
the whole class of arguments about "why'd you recommend X and not Y?"
that we'd surely get sucked into.  Better not to go there in the first
place.