Re: new food for the contrib/ directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail(at)htl(dot)de>
Subject: Re: new food for the contrib/ directory
Date: 2002-04-18 14:20:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Scherbaum <adsmail(at)htl(dot)de> writes:
> Justin Clift wrote:
>> Did we reach an opinion as to whether we'll include GPL'd code?
>>
>> My vote is to not include this code, as it just muddies the water with
>> PostgreSQL being BSD based.

> Hmm, there's enough GPL'ed stuff in contrib/ ;-)

Indeed, the core committee recently agreed that we should try to ensure
that the whole distribution is under the same BSD license. I have a
TODO item to contact the authors of the existing GPL'd contrib modules,
and if possible get them to agree to relicense. If not, those modules
will be removed from contrib.

There are other possible homes for contrib modules whose authors
strongly prefer GPL. For example, Red Hat's add-ons for Postgres will
be GPL (per corporate policy), and I expect that they'd be willing to
host contrib modules. But the core distribution will be straight BSD
to avoid license confusion.