Re: Better name/syntax for "online" index creation

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Better name/syntax for "online" index creation
Date: 2006-07-25 15:40:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2006-07-25 kell 11:26, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> writes:
> >> Strictly speaking, however, it would have to be NOLOCKLY in that case. :-)
>
> > In this case CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY ... sounds better to me, although
> > the whole feature sounds nice any way you will finally call it ;-)
>
> That reads well to me too. We'd need to check whether it can be parsed
> without making CONCURRENTLY a fully-reserved word, but offhand I think
> it would work because ON is already a fully-reserved word ...

At some point we may add some other ops we start doing CONCURRENTLY,
like perhaps CLUSTER CONCURRENTLY or even ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY ADD
COLUMN x DEFAULT nextval('s'); and other table rewriting ops.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free: http://www.skype.com