Re: Triggers and System Tables

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Triggers and System Tables
Date: 2002-04-16 12:58:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

--On Montag, 15. April 2002 21:55 +0200 Hans-Juergen Schoenig
<hs(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:

> I have a brief question concerning triggers and system tables:
> Why is it not allowed to trigger a system table? I guess it could be
> useful from time to time.

I guess it could be usefull to get an endless loop of trigger pulling
from time to time ;))

Imagine a trigger on the table which postgres uses for holding the trigger
data. Creating the trigger means action on the table, which in turn
pulls the trigger ...

Regardless of this I agree that it would be usefull - but one would
have to be _very_ carefully with the design of the trigger.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain