Re: Resources

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: postgres(at)lg(dot)ndirect(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resources
Date: 2002-01-26 18:05:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Lg" <postgres(at)lg(dot)ndirect(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> This is of great interest to me because this is exactly what I am trying
> to do: use indices to speed up anchored searches.

> What you say mirrors what the faq says. However, I just can't get it to
> work.

Probably you initialized the database in non-C locale. Anchored
searches can only be optimized with index scans in C locale; the
index ordering isn't necessarily right in other locales.

You can check the database locale with contrib/pg_controldata,
or if that's not handy try
od -c $PGDATA/global/pg_control
and look for locale names near the end of the file.