Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication)
Date: 2010-01-06 16:51:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The attached patch supports new keyword 'replication' on .pgpass file.
> This keyword is used to specify the password for the standby server to
> connect to the primary server.

This strikes me as a completely bad idea. We need get no farther than
the point that it assumes nobody can have a database named "replication"
(although I notice the patch also appears to assume that libpq knows
internally that the connection is for replication --- I thought we were
going to avoid libpq changes for SR?)

I don't see any real strong reason why a .pgpass entry for this purpose
couldn't depend on having "*" in the database field. But the later
comments that the password should be in some other configuration file
altogether are probably an even better idea.