Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Myron Scott <lister(at)sacadia(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor
Date: 2006-04-10 10:02:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

> You can't just retarget a backend to operate in another database, at
> least not without major changes in that infrastructure.

Why not? What would be needed to retarget a backend to operate in
another database?

Such a retargetting would be helpful in several cases:
- pre-forking of backends (well, depends on efficiency of
retargetting..)
- slave backends for parallel query execution
- slave backends for replaying replicated transactions

I'm using backends operating without a client connection, with superuser
privileges only. But those are still connected to one specific database.
It would really be helpfull if I could retarget them as needed.

Regards

Markus