Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux
Date: 2006-08-21 14:09:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Can you think of any places at all where 64-bit would make a difference
> to processing? 64-bit gives you more memory, and on some x86 chips, more
> registers, but that's it.

It would be interesting to look into making int8 and float8 be
pass-by-value datatypes to save palloc overhead on machines where
Datum is going to be 8 bytes wide anyway. Of course this would
only help queries that use those datatypes extensively, and it
might be an insignificant savings anyhow :-(

For the most part though I think that the main advantage of 64-bit
for a database is the ability to address more memory. We've been
working slowly towards allowing PG to make better use of large
numbers of shared buffers, for instance.