Re: "Bad date external representation"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Bad date external representation"
Date: 2003-06-19 22:17:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)gallery44(dot)org> writes:
> Some additional information with regard to this issue, in case it helps any.

Fooling around with this, I discovered that the datestyle setting *does*
make a difference --- which is surprising considering that this
particular date is quite non-ambiguous. (There's a big flamewar in
progress right now on pgsql-general that presumes the present behavior
is to accept anything that is non-ambiguous. Looks like we don't have
all our facts straight :-()

regression=# set datestyle = 'iso, us';
SET
regression=# select '9/19/2002'::date;
date
2002-09-19
(1 row)

regression=# set datestyle = 'iso, euro';
SET
regression=# select '9/19/2002'::date;
ERROR: Bad date external representation '9/19/2002'

So the answer is probably to make sure you have the US sub-mode
selected.