Re: [HACKERS] Online backup vs Continuous backup

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Online backup vs Continuous backup
Date: 2005-12-30 13:35:37
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 13:46 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> > > I suggest the following patch to rename our capability "Continuous
> > > Backup".
> >
> > This doesn't seem like an improvement. "Online backup" is the standard
> > terminology AFAIK.
>
> But why is it the standard terminology? It doesn't seem logical.

Well, as Greg says its a physical backup that can be done on-line, so
online backup makes perfect sense to me. I've never had somebody say
"that makes no sense" before. Nomenclature is different everywhere, I
accept.

I generally describe it like this:

Logical Backup
- use pg_dump - must be done on-line
Physical Backup
All file copy only
- must be Cold/Off-line backup
All file copy + WAL archiving
- allows Hot/Online or Cold/Offline backup

People understand those terms...

When do I mention PITR? Well, I describe this as Archive Recovery, with
an option to go to end-of-logs, or to a point-in-time.
[In the code, the mode variable is InArchiveRecovery.]

I do think that saying "do you use PITR?" makes little sense. We should
be talking about the backup mode, not the potential future recovery
mode.

I think it would all make more sense if we described the use of
archive_command = something as being in "WAL Archive Mode". That would
then allow us to say:
"You can only take Online Backups while in WAL Archive Mode".
"If you ever wish to perform PITR, you must use WAL Archive Mode".
"If you backed-up in WAL Archive Mode, you can perform an Archive
Recovery".

Best Regards, Simon Riggs