resetting superuser password

From: "mad" <mad7(at)runbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: resetting superuser password
Date: 2005-11-09 12:42:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I have lost the superuser (user postgres) password, but I still have
the unix root password. Is there anything I can do to reset the
postgres user's password (short of reinstalling Postgres)?

Obviously, I can su to unix user postgres, but this does not seem to
advance my cause, as doing "psql -U postgres" still prompts me for a
password, which is not the same as the unix postgres user's password.

OS: RedHat 9

Help!

Thanks,
Marc