Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views
Date: 2005-10-25 23:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 1. Tell people they may have to set add_missing_from = true to reload
> a dump that contains such views.
>
> 2. Revert the change to make add_missing_from default as false, and
> wait a few more releases before making it default.
>
> Comments?

This needs to be (1).

Whichever version we make the change for, there will always be a point
where the pg_dump would be taken with add_missing_from=true by default
and moving to new version with add_missing_from=false. Putting that off
for another release will still allow that failure condition to exist at
that later time: so we must tell people about it now.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs