Field Separator not working?

From: Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr>
To: PostgresSQL list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Field Separator not working?
Date: 2005-10-19 10:19:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm having troubles setting the field separator. I tried this on pg7.4,
8.0 and 8.1beta, and I always get the same results.

So, from within psql i do:
pulitzer2=# select * from pg_user;
usename | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd | passwd |
valuntil | useconfig
-----------+----------+-------------+----------+-----------+----------+----------+-----------
mario | 1 | t | t | t | ******** |

postgres | 100 | t | t | t | ******** |

pulitzer2 | 102 | f | f | f | ******** |
infinity |
101 | 101 | f | f | f | ******** |
infinity |
(4 rows)

pulitzer2=# \t
Showing only tuples.
pulitzer2=# \f#
Field separator is "#".
pulitzer2=# select * from pg_user;
mario | 1 | t | t | t | ******** |

postgres | 100 | t | t | t | ******** |

pulitzer2 | 102 | f | f | f | ******** |
infinity |
101 | 101 | f | f | f | ******** |
infinity |

pulitzer2=#

psql does tell me that I changed the field separator to "#", but it
still uses "|" as separator. I'm parsing the script from bash, using
psql, and setting the field separator options on the command line, but I
get similair results, the field separator is always "|", so I need to
awk-it with -F, but sometimes I have problems because data in my tables
often contain "|" charachter.

I've been looking trough the psql source code, but just like that, it's
too big hassle for me now :)

Am I doing something wrong?

Mike
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."