Re: BUG #16221: ERROR while importing Plpython , pltcl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16221: ERROR while importing Plpython , pltcl
Date: 2020-01-21 15:16:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 8:35 AM PG Bug reporting form
> <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> We are trying to import “plpythonu” in postgresql but when running the
>> below query we are getting an error:-
>> CREATE EXTENSION plpythonu
>> ERROR: could not load library "C:/Program
>> Files/PostgreSQL/11/lib/plpython2.dll": The specified module could not be
>> found.
>> Although I have “plpython2.dll” is there in the same location.

> If all the files are present in the expected location, this is
> probably due to wrong privilege access on the files, or some antivirus
> preventing postgres from loading the libs. Have you tried after
> disabling the antivirus or configuring an exception for the postgres'
> directories?

Another likely theory is that the message is not trying to complain
about plpython2.dll, but about some library that that depends on,
probably libpython itself. If you look into the postmaster log file,
rather than just at what's reported to the client, you might find
some additional low-level messages clarifying this.

If this were a Linux machine I'd recommend using "ldd" to investigate
the dependencies of plpython2.dll. But I don't know what the equivalent
tool for Windows is.