Re: Version number in psql banner

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Version number in psql banner
Date: 2005-09-01 22:18:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com> writes:
> > Yes I've seen the same frustration from users, I think the banner should say
> > something along the lines of "psql client version foo connected to server bar
> > version sfoo"
>
> That seems overly verbose, particularly in the normal case where the
> versions are indeed the same. I could live with seeing a display like
> that when the versions are different.

Thats the way Oracle sql*plus has worked for years, so its fairly
acceptable to a great many people without too many questions.

> The other question is what counts as "different" --- do we want to
> complain like this if the minor versions are different?

Which is much harder to define and could itself have a bug in it, so I
prefer the verbose message.... its much better to know for certain every
time.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs