Re: pg_ctl changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl changes
Date: 2001-02-07 22:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've implemented the following changes in pg_ctl:

Sounds good to me.

> * Add -l option to name log file. If the option is omitted, then the
> postmaster log goes to stdout, so you can use 'pg_ctl ... > log' and still
> get pg_ctl's stderr on the terminal.

Let's see if I've got this straight --- the postmaster's stdout and
stderr go to the -l file (by default pg_ctl's stdout), while pg_ctl's
own stderr is kept separate for failure notices? That seems like it
will work ... in particular one could imagine doing
pg_ctl start | log_splitter_process
to handle log rotation stuff.