Re: Constraint Exclusion on all tables

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Constraint Exclusion on all tables
Date: 2005-07-24 09:54:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 17:57 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> It seems current CE implementation ignores UPDATE, DELETE quries. Is
> this an intended limitation?

Yes, it does not currently optimise the execution of UPDATE/DELETE
against a parent table.

This is not an intended long-term limitation and I hope to fix this
also. The code for this is actually in a different place to the code for
SELECT, so I need to do extra work to fix that. My priority for CE was
to provide for the most common rolling window use cases on very large
databases, so in those cases UPDATEs or DELETEs against large tables are
actually fairly suicidal statements; that meant that feature had a lower
implementation priority....but as I say, I will get to that.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs