Re: install

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: crdandridge1(at)comcast(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install
Date: 2006-03-01 16:12:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

crdandridge1(at)comcast(dot)net writes:
> silly me! i was trying "adduser" when the command i needed to use was
> "useradd"....boy do i feel stupid....now i'm at the part where i do "su -
> postgres" and its asking me for a password but i don't remember ever setting
> up one...any ideas?

If you're looking for an easy installation process, why don't you use
one of the rpm or deb-style packagings of Postgres, instead of trying
to build the raw source code?

The short answer to your question above is "su to root first then
postgres", but it's obvious from the questions you're asking that
you're very unfamiliar with linux system administration, so I'm
wondering why you're insisting on doing it the hard way...