Re: WalSndWakeup() and synchronous_commit=off

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WalSndWakeup() and synchronous_commit=off
Date: 2012-05-11 18:45:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Its the only place though which knows whether its actually sensible to wakeup
> the walsender. We could make it return whether it wrote anything and do the
> wakeup at the callers. I count 4 different callsites which would be an
> annoying duplication but I don't really see anything better right now.

Another point here is that XLogWrite is not only normally called with
the lock held, but inside a critical section. I see no reason to take
the risk of doing signal sending inside critical sections.

BTW, a depressingly large fraction of the existing calls to WalSndWakeup
are also inside critical sections, generally for no good reason that I
can see. For example, in EndPrepare(), why was the call placed where
it is and not down beside SyncRepWaitForLSN?