Re: Trigger that spawns forked process

From: Christopher Murtagh <christopher(dot)murtagh(at)mcgill(dot)ca>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trigger that spawns forked process
Date: 2005-05-10 21:11:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 13:50 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Why do you think Slony won't work for this? One way it could do it is
> to have an ON INSERT trigger that populates one or more tables with
> the result of the XSLT, which table(s) Slony replicates to the other
> servers.

Because the nodes are not databases, they are Apache/PHP web servers
which have file system caching where the URL = directory/file. The XSLT
also converts XML objects to PHP code. So basically a content editor can
do something like:

This is my course description: <coursedesc courseid="AAA 123" />
etc.

and the XSLT converts the <coursedesc /> tag into a PHP function (that
does a db lookup).

Cheers,

Chris