Re: 7.1.1 Lock Problems on Views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Powell <brian(at)owlscreech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.1.1 Lock Problems on Views
Date: 2001-05-31 16:42:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

Brian Powell <brian(at)owlscreech(dot)com> writes:
> In our client app, we lock our table before doing something to it.

Why don't you redesign the app to not use table-level locks?
An MVCC-aware app should have little or no need for table-level
locking.

Locking views strikes me as a pretty fragile, if not outright broken,
approach anyway --- a lock on a view would only protect you against
other users of the same view, not against other users accessing the
same underlying tables through different views.