Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

From: Manuel Baena García <mbaena(at)lcc(dot)uma(dot)es>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl
Date: 2005-03-31 02:20:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

Your current code is caused to fail by the next inputs:
- when the data has null number values.

You can probe it with the examples in:
http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/index.shtml.en

Now I have a new version of dbf2sql with some bug fixed:
- Support MEMO fields.
- Support Float Point fields.
- Exclude deleted records.
- Replace ' with \' in strings.
- do all inserts in one transaction.

And my script support all examples of above url.

My program fixes that the current one does not.

El lun, 28-03-2005 a las 00:06 -0500, Bruce Momjian escribió:
> Manuel Baena Garca wrote:
> > El mi?, 23-03-2005 a las 17:07 -0500, Bruce Momjian escribi?:
> > > Are you saying your script has all the functionality of dbf2pg.c? It
> > > doesn't seem possible.
> >
> > No, I'm not saying it. By example, my script doesn't connect to a pg db,
> > I prefer to use a pipe. My script has the same objective by a different
> > way: "do it as simple as you can".
>
> It might be simple to code, but having a second program is not simpler
> for end-users. We have had no one else complain about xbase conversion
> so I am not inclined to add a second program, especially since you did
> not say what your program fixes that the current one does not.
>
> Can you show us exactly what input causes our current code to fail, and
> explain why someone with C knowledge can't fix it?

Attachment Content-Type Size
dbf2sql.pl application/x-perl 2.2 KB
dbf2sql.pl.7 text/plain 589 bytes