save me from an unconstrained join

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: save me from an unconstrained join
Date: 2005-03-30 20:54:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

It actually does what I want... but it offends my database
sensibilities... :-)

Heres the basics of the tables involved:

CREATE TABLE bds_filesize (
bds_filesize_id serial
name text NOT NULL,
byte_limit integer NOT NULL,
slots integer NOT NULL
);

CREATE TABLE software (
software_binary_id serial,
binary_file oid,
filename text,
filesize integer,
checksum text
);

query:

select
software_binary_id, min(byte_limit)
from
bds_filesize, software_binary
where
byte_limit > filesize GROUP BY software_binary_id;

Basically each software is assigned a "class" based on the size of its
binary into a predetermined range of classes that are defined as
relative filesizes. The above query really does work... but istm I ought
to be joining those tables somehow... any ideas?

Robert Treat