Re: odd problem !

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: odd problem !
Date: 2005-03-23 08:23:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 21:42 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > right, this is normal situation if you backup to the same server.
> > > Not sure how it's usefull, but still

> > > any problem ?
> >
> > I've committed a fix --- please check that it solves your problem.
> > (I have to leave for a few hours so I can't check it myself right away.)

> > > in general case it's impossible.
> >
> > Yeah :-( ... needs more thought.
>
> Is this a TODO?

Yes, it is.

In my experience, most people create only a single Database, then define
their Tablespaces (or change them rarely, if ever). So I've always
regarded CREATE DATABASE and TABLESPACE as lower priority items. I'd
always recommend taking another full backup immediately following such
changes, rather than rely on everything working in the rollforward. That
was true with PITR and similarly true with log shipping based upon PITR.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs