Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql

From: amrit(at)health2(dot)moph(dot)go(dot)th
To: PGsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql
Date: 2005-01-18 14:38:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

I would like to upgrade both OS kernel and PGsql version , so in my opinion the
best way to handle it is to *backup* the data in .tar and use a newly install
2.6 OS linux [ from 2.4.9] with build in PGsql 7.4.6 rpm[ from 7.3.2] and may
up the ram to 6 GB. and *restore* the data again.
I wonder whether the PAE [physical address ext.] will be put in place and could
I use the RAM for more than 4 Gb. Does any one have different idea ? Since
upgrade to Operon 64 Bit needs a lot of money , I may postpone it for a couple
while.
Any comment ,please.

Amrit
Thailand