NONE

From: Manuel SEDANO <msedano(at)virtualcom(dot)es>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: NONE
Date: 2001-05-24 08:29:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi you all:

I´ve got some kind of a problem in the deploy of my perl client.
My environment is the following
Ihave a Solaris 7 web server in the internet, powered by apache and outside the
local net.
>From it I can access, through a hole in the firewall to my PostgreSQL 7.0.2 server
(Solaris 8) in the local net, and the requests can only come from the local web and
from the web server, so
it works extremely fine with JSP, Java and so on (wow!).
The problem starts when I want my Perl CGI's to work in this environment, because I
do not want to install more copies of Postgres in my not-very-much-free-space web
server. (that´s why I
have my own DB-server).
Installation procedure tells me that I have to specify where is my Postgres
installation, but I´ve got no installation!
Can anyone tell me what I have to do to configure a pure client with no server
capabilities? or it´s unpossible? or takes such a big effort that it´s not worth?

Here´s some data I didn´t include before

Version of PostgreSQL: 7.0.1

perl5/README
..
This is version 1.8.0 of pgsql_perl5 (previously called pg95perl5).
..

sol27$ perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i86pc-solaris

Copyright 1987-1999, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

sol27$ perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
Platform:
osname=solaris, osvers=2.7, archname=i86pc-solaris
uname='sunos 5.7 generic_106542-02 i86pc i386 i86pc '
usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
Compiler:
cc='gcc', optimize='-O', gccversion=2.8.1
cppflags='-I/usr/local/include'
ccflags ='-I/usr/local/include'
stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
alignbytes=4, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
libpth=/usr/local/lib /shlib /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
libs=-lsocket -lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt
libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'

Built under solaris
Compiled at Jul 24 1999 02:37:00
@INC:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/i86pc-solaris
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i86pc-solaris
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
.
sol27$

Thank you.