Re: Broken due to CVS branching? .bki has wrong info for build

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Broken due to CVS branching? .bki has wrong info for build
Date: 2010-07-17 17:51:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I pulled the latest from the git repo, I got this error on initdb:

> creating template1 database in testdb/base/1 ... initdb: input file
> "/usr/local/pg90/share/postgresql/postgres.bki" does not belong to
> PostgreSQL 9.0devel

> The problem was having '9.1' instead of '9.0' in the first line of the .bki.

Yeah, I ran into that too. The makefiles don't have a dependency that
forces postgres.bki to be rebuilt when you update the major version in
configure.in. Just delete src/backend/catalog/postgres.bki and
rebuild/reinstall. (Actually, as of CVS HEAD it shouldn't be a problem
anymore because of yesterday's changes in pg_proc.h.)

I'm not sure whether it's worth adding an explicit dependency to cover
this case. It only comes into play at major version boundaries.