Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Honza Horak <hhorak(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets
Date: 2012-06-06 15:32:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Honza Horak <hhorak(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> On 06/06/2012 04:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> Well, that's what I wanted to discuss before Honza starts coding.
>>> It's not obvious that there are any use-cases for more than two.
>>> It's also not clear whether there is any value in supporting run-time
>>> rather than build-time configuration of the socket locations.  The
>>> Fedora use-case has no need of that, but if people can point to other
>>> cases where it would be sensible, we can write the patch that way.

>> I had the need to make pg available from multiple chroots via unix sockets.
>> The same might come up more frequently with the availability of filesystem
>> namespaces...

> It seems you were not alone with such need:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2006-09/msg00172.php

I had forgotten that conversation, but it does seem like there is
interest in this type of configuration.  Can anybody confirm that
dropping a socket into a chroot or jail would actually work, ie
make it possible to connect from inside the chroot to a postmaster
running outside?  If that's real and not just wishful thinking,
it seems like enough of an argument to justify supporting N sockets.