Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Honza Horak <hhorak(at)redhat(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ability to listen on two unix sockets
Date: 2012-06-06 15:21:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mi jun 06 10:38:42 -0400 2012:
>> (BTW, we would probably just adopt the Debian solution if we were
>> sure there were no non-libpq clients out there; but we aren't.)

> Maybe this is a good time to make the /var/run socket location (Debian's
> choice) the primary one, and /tmp be the alternate.

I'm not really in favor of making /var/run be the out-of-the-box
default, because it would discriminate against personal/testing
installations (ie, you couldn't set it up without root privileges).
It's a reasonable choice for distro-provided packages, but not so
much for one-off builds --- think about the buildfarm if nothing else.

Having said that, if we made it easier to configure things that way than
by patching the source, I bet Martin Pitt isn't going to object.