Re: merging advocacy and "overview"

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: merging advocacy and "overview"
Date: 2004-12-02 21:12:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 15:40, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > To me the corporate sponsor page is for the "people behind the scenes"
> > that make postgresql happen. Like hub and command prompt who offer
> > hosting/dns services, or 2nd Quadrant that donated Simon to work on
> > PITR, things you wouldn't know unless we told you. With Varlena, they
> > provide an ancillary service, much like EMS Hitech or Nusphere or
> > Dotgeek, that may be of interest to people in the postgresql community,
> > but they aren't providing community resources. Sure we want to let
> > people know about these things, but we shouldn't feel beholden to them.
>
> Hopefully Elein will clarify, but I don't *think* that General Bits would
> be classified in the same league as 'EMS' or 'Nusphere' ... if General
> Bits is a "for free resource", then it has as much value as techdocs, I
> would think ...

except that techdocs is community run and controlled. if I were to start
putting up logo's all over the site directing to my personal business I
bet most people here would have an issue with that.

if its a 'subscription only service', then I'd lump it in
> with EMS/Nusphere ...
>
> If 'for free', then she is probably a value service to the community ...
> IMHO ...

OK, but what about dotgeek? They provide a valuable service to the
community by giving free webhosting with postgresql. Are they a
community sponsor too ? Heck, by that token the Open Source Technology
Group ought to be listed as well, since we have software available from
both sourceforge and freshmeat, along with several important side
projects. All of these companies drive traffic to their own sites to
further their own agendas. If they want it to be a community resource,
take down all their logos and put up some blue elephant heads.

Robert Treat