Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF-8 and LIKE vs =
Date: 2004-08-23 20:43:18
Lists: pgsql-general
On Aug 23, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Because LIKE does a character-by-character matching and = uses the
> operating system locale, which could do anything.  If you set the
> locale to C, you should get matching results.  Which one is "better"
> depends on the semantics of the language, which I cannot judge here.

Thanks. So I need to set the locale to C and then LIKE will work
properly? How do I go about doing that? I can see these options:

LC_COLLATE
String sort order

LC_CTYPE
Character classification (What is a letter? The upper-case equivalent?)

LC_MESSAGES
Language of messages

LC_MONETARY
Formatting of currency amounts