Re: PLpgSQL-Problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Thomas Chille" <thomas(at)chille(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PLpgSQL-Problem
Date: 2004-04-17 16:46:17
Lists: pgsql-general

"Thomas Chille" <thomas(at)chille(dot)de> writes:
> in every documentation(7.5 too) i can read that i can pass a row to a
> plpgsql function. but how u know it does not work.

It does work ... from a SQL statement. The problem you are running into
is that a whole-row variable of a plpgsql function can't be passed as a
unit into a SQL statement. (I thought this limitation was documented
somewhere in the plpgsql chapter, but right at the moment I can't find
anything about it.)

> And if the documentation is wrong, is this normal for the postgres-docs?

The documentation is not perfect.