Re: Mirroring databases in v8

From: Glen Eustace <geustace(at)godzone(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar(at)frodo(dot)hserus(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mirroring databases in v8
Date: 2004-10-06 20:26:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 03:06, Tom Lane wrote:
> Not sure if you are familiar with the Slony project, but that is
> probably your best bet for data propagation to a live slave at present

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comment. I was aware of Slony but didn't want the
mirroring to require addition of triggers etc. if it could be avoided.

I had come across a system in Ingres, and I know Ingres isn't PostgreSQL
but it was still a cool idea.

The logging system in Ingres produces journal files which are then
available for roll-forward recovery, but there is a tool called dbaudit
( I think ) which allows one to determine what the changes where. From
this info, ordinary SQL can be generated that one can then use to do
other things. In this case the data was used to generate a who changed
what when report that was feed back into the database into an audit
table.