Re: books/sites for someone really learning PG's

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Miles Keaton <mileskeaton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: books/sites for someone really learning PG's
Date: 2004-09-24 07:08:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 08:03, Miles Keaton wrote:
> I'm switching to PostgreSQL from MySQL. Using the SAMs book called
> PostgreSQL which has been great to skim the surface of the
> differerences.
>
> I had never even heard of things like triggers, views, and foreign keys before.

Smells like success story here :-)

> Any recommended books or websites (or exercises) that would really
> help someone get to know not just the basics of how these advanced
> features work, but some real in-depth insight into how to USE them for
> real work?
>
> (It's always hard to get used to actually using features you never
> knew existed before.)

The point is when you miss something and you know there must be a better
way to do things which motivates a change of a plattform.

I dont know many good books about this, but at least foreign keys
are a basic concept of RDBMS so you should find a lot about in the
literature. All other topics are something you will know when you
have a problem to solve. I'd recomment not using a feature just
because its so cool :-)
Postgresql has a lot of other helpful things like functions in
different languages - where you definitively will have to read
a lot, custom datatypes and operators and more.

Welcome to the world of postgres I'd say :-)

Regards
Tino