Re: Press Release, Final Draft?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date: 2004-09-23 17:41:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 13:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Greg, Robert, Merlin,
> > I dislike "lazy vacuum": 'lazy' has some very negative connotations,
> > irregardless of the technology it represents in this case. Call it an
> > "advanced vacuuming system"
>
> Sorry, that's the name of the feature.

Unless I am confused, the two features that we have are really Vacuum
and Vacuum Full. "Lazy Vacuum" is just a nickname that people use to
help differentiate it from full vacuums, but it is not a real feature
name, which is one of the reasons you wont find it mentioned in the docs
anywhere.

Furthermore, what exactly is new about this feature in 8.0? We've had it
for several releases, the only thing that is different is how it
interacts with the background writer, but it is not a new feature, and
imho could be dropped from this paragraph all together.

> BTW - On the web page we call it a licence.
>
> British vs. American spelling.

Uh, I didn't need an explanation, I was pointing out the inconsistency.
Perhaps we ought to address it?

> > Like: "which provides royalty free distribution for com and non-com
> > use".
>
> I like this, a little tweaked:
>
> PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which allows fee-free use and
> distribution, for both commercial and non-commercial use.

fee-free is so foo-foo don't you think?

"PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, allowing for both
commercial and non-commercial use and distribution without fee."

Robert Treat