Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: jimworke(at)inbox(dot)lv
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-24 02:10:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>:

> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> > Marc,
> > > Since I (and I don't believe anyone else on core) uses Java ...
> > > shouldn't it be up to the developer of the PL/J* modules to do this? We
>
> > > can't weigh which one is better then the other, as we don't use it ...
> > >
> > Of course the contributors should supply as much of this material as
> > possible. The point I'm trying to make is that there's often no
> > incentive to do so, nor a good place to put it.
>
> What incentive do you want us to give? We don't have any. And if
> someone does it, we will find a place for it.
>
> > > Also, how does someone support something that they don't use? Again,
> > > that is the developer of PL/J*'s job to do, not ours ...
> > >
> > Again, I'm not trying to offload work from the contributors onto the
> > members of core. This is about how things are perceived by the
> > PostgreSQL customers. Of course the contributors must continue to
> > support their products. If they don't, I'd expect the "supported" status
> > to be dropped at some point.
>
> I think you want us to look more like a MySQL AB or Oracle company where
> things are more bundled and blessed. It isn't going to happen with us
> because we aren't a company, don't make money, and don't control anyone.
>
> This reminds me of the MySQL migration guy who didn't want to use a 3rd
> party replicaiton solution. I really wanted to say he might be happier
> with MySQL.

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I was just expressing me and my
company concern about using 3rd party solution. I don't have any intention of
finding PostgreSQL's fault (and I'm not saying you accuse of that, because you
don't). I think it's a great product, and as I've said, I used it personally
before, and I loved it.

The problem I'm having is that I'm coming from business point of view. And so
I'd like to know what is the plan PostgreSQL team has for those 3rd party solution.

We don't really want to use MySQL. But from what you tell me to use MySQL just
because of my avoidance of 3rd party solution, then I think a lot of people will
overlook that PostgreSQL is a good product.

From the long discussion, I do now understand that PostgreSQL team would rather
focus on the core. And I think Ben (bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com) answer it well by
saying that there's an opportunity of business (of gathering the core and 3rd
party solutions into a package). That gives me the relief that at least there's
somewhere we can turn to for support in packaging.

Advertisement:

Mobilais telefons SAMSUNG SGH-P510
ar automatisko atversanas mehanismu!
tikai Ls 217