Re: ipcclean in 8.1 broken?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ipcclean in 8.1 broken?
Date: 2006-03-01 15:46:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> No-one has a comment on this?

ipcclean has never been much more than beta-quality software; it doesn't
pretend to be very portable.

Having said that, I think the anti-root check is bogus. It was probably
added in a fit of "let's make sure nobody tries to admin PG as root",
but I don't see why that applies to ipcclean. The only thing that
really matters is whether the subsequent id/whoami lookup comes up with
the proper user id. I'd be inclined to do the id lookup and then bomb
out if it came up with 0 (just to ensure that no one accidentally blows
away really-important shared memory segments).