Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release planning (was: Re: Status report)
Date: 2004-07-14 23:19:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 23:03, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> As a community, I don't think we should be 'supporting' anything older
> then the last STABLE ...

I agree, but that message isn't clearly stated anywhere. The lists are
full of people running very old releases - and everybody keeps having to
ask "what release are you running" and the answer is always shocking.

Can we set up different lists for the various major versions, so people
can see where to go for different types of support?

Rather than General, have General7.4 and General7.3...making everybody's
first question "what is my release? where should I post this question?"
- 95% of people are newbies, whatever the list/project.

That will also make it clear that on-list support is available for older
releases, but they really should be thinking about upgrade. And
different people can choose whether to hang out at the bleeding edge, or
legacy support.

We could also have different hints and tips by list then. One of the
gems (hint 9, I think) is changing in r7.5, so we must either mis-advise
people who use the new release or fail to advise those using an older
release. The down-rev lists could contain advice about upgrading...

Best Regards, Simon Riggs