Re: Big problem

From: Sérgio Monteiro Basto <sergiomb(at)netcabo(dot)pt>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big problem
Date: 2004-05-24 20:32:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 16:03, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Isn't it just enough to prevent the user with userid 1 from losing the
> > superuser status. If one want to allow it one could prevent it just when
> > doing the ALTER USER stuff and allow it when editing pg_shadow directly.
> > Or maybe have some guc variable that write locks the user with id 1.
>
> That gets my vote - can't take superuser off id 1...

Gets my vote too, postgres user can't take superuser off.

> > Given that it was so "simple" to restore I'm not sure if it's worth it or
> > not, but restricting just user 1 does not give any of the problems you
> > wrote about.
>
> Well, sergio sure wasn't very happy...
yes I wasn't but "Stop postmaster and start a standalone backend. Now
you are asuperuser, and you can create a new superuser, or just go in
and UPDATE pg_shadow to make your original user super again. Exit
standalone backend, restart postmaster, have a beer."
worked !

thanks ,

--
Sérgio M. B.