Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning
Date: 2004-04-27 21:36:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 21:56, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Overall, I'd refer back to the points Bruce raised - you certainly do
> > need a way of finding out the time to recover to, and as others have
> > said also, time isn't the only desirable "recovery point".
>
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply use the transaction ID and ensure
> that all the parameters the user might want to use to find that ID can
> be made available in the log files?

Yes, of course, all methods of locating a particular xlog file to stop
at are effectively equivalent. The discussion is mostly about what is
convenient for the user in a real recovery situation.

>From all that has been said so far, I would implement:

1. Recovery to a specific txnid, which is fairly straightforward
2. Recovery to a specific date/time
a) either by implementing a log inspection tool that shows the txnid for
a PIT
b) implementing recovery to a PIT directly
3. Recovery to a named checkpoint

Best Regards, Simon Riggs