Re: License question

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: License question
Date: 2004-04-23 06:47:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Shachar Shemesh kirjutas R, 23.04.2004 kell 07:53:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org> writes:
> >

> >>Also, can you license code at all if it isn't yours? I would assume you
> >>would have to make changes and license the changes you made, and
> >>distribute it along with the postgresql-licensed code.
> >>

> >You can't relicense code you don't own
> >
> Sure you can.

You can only add additional restrictions for the combined code, not lift
original ones. That is unless the original licence allows it :)

You are free to relicence public domain code though, but I guess that by
doing so you kind of take ownership of your release verion.

IANAL

Hannu