Re: patch implementing the multi-argument aggregates (SOC project)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch implementing the multi-argument aggregates (SOC project)
Date: 2006-07-24 14:49:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
> Since the feature freeze is in a few days, I'm sending the first iteration
> of my patch implementing the multi-argument aggregates (PolyArgAgg) (SOC
> project)

This patch is nowhere near ready for submission :-(. Most of the
comments seem to be "I don't know what to do here" ...

A general hint on the polymorphic stuff is that you should be able to
exactly duplicate what's done for polymorphic functions --- or even
better, get rid of the separate code for aggregates and just invoke
the existing logic for functions. (You might need to refactor code
a little bit to separate out the common functionality.)

Instead of copying data inside advance_transition_function, it might
be better for the caller to store the values into the right fields
of a temporary FunctionCallInfoData struct, and just pass that to
advance_transition_function.

The names for the new aggregates seem a bit, how to say, terse and
unfriendly. SQL generally tends to a more verbose style of naming.