Re: A cohesive sales message

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Jussi Mikkola <jussi(dot)mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A cohesive sales message
Date: 2004-01-08 22:41:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 17:11, Jussi Mikkola wrote:
> One thing that I think we could consider, is having an iso image, with
> Knoppix and postgresql. Or something similar. It could be that the
> database would be totally on a ramdisk. (That would be fast atleast ;-)
> But the main point here is that it would be easy to test. It could make
> it easier for the next step, to install PostgreSQL on to your own harddisk.
>
> Or perhaps creating packages, where there are for example in one tar.gz
> file, the server, "all" drivers, several clients etc. People download
> distributions that are on several CD's to their harddisk. Would they not
> want one package that contains "all" of PostgreSQL?

There have been people on other disks asking about getting knoppix
flavored distros to carry postgresql for their own demonstrations, I
think it would be great if someone could put together a distro with
postgresql, pgadmin, pgaccess, phppgadmin, and maybe a few other tools,
that could boot from a cd to be handed out for demonstration purposes. I
won't pretend like it wouldn't be a good sized project to undertake.

> I think that the "geek" and "non-geek" distributions are the same. Both
> of them are interested in things that are new and fancy, and things that
> are proven good. (And make their life easier.) If you are a "geek", it
> is very propable that if you fall in love with PostgreSQL, you need to
> sell it to your boss. And if you are the boss, you need to sell it to
> the "geeks" (and customers).

I can't really imagine a suit seeing postgresql and deciding he wants to
push it on to his developers... and even less likely the developers
would resist. ISTM we should focus on getting people interested in
postgresql based on technical reasons, and then provide those people
with the arguments they will need to sell it to their management.

Robert Treat