Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived
Date: 2006-07-25 15:53:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I was planning to add a new GUC
> 	archive_timeout (integer) = max # secs between log file switches

That's fine, but feature freeze is in a week and we don't even have the
basic function for manually doing a log file switch.  Let's get that
done first and then think about automatic switches.

Also, forcing another 16M of WAL out every few seconds is a pretty crude
and inefficient way of making sure your hot standby server is up to
date.  As Hannu noted, an archiving script can do better than that if it
can access the current WAL file name and offset.  So we really want to
get the function to return that info done as well.